UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:36 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Advert titles must follow the format: Year - Model - Location - Price. eg. "1990 C900 SE, Glasgow, £800" For Wanted Ads: ''Wanted - 99 Turbo - Glasgow''

In an effort to reduce the size of the big orange box, full listing of rules for this section have been stickied HERE. If we notice a marked drop off in compliance with the rules the orange box will be restored.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:24 am 
Active user

A few years ago I acquired an '81 5 door 900 turbo. The car arrived with 4 space saver wheels because I didn't like the US turbo alloys which were previously on the car. It currently sits on a spare set of Inca alloys which are period correct and look good. However i'd really like a set of TRX wheels (and grey centre caps) like the car would have originally had. The tyres for these alloys are crazy expensive, but hoping that one day I might be able to find a deal on some somewhere. If anyone is tripping over a nice set of TRXs and wondering what to do with them - please give me a shout! There aren't many of these TRX era 900 turbos left!

I'm located in Crich, Nr Matlock - Derbyshire.

Cheers,
Andy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:19 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 95, 99, 900, 9000, 93, Sonett
Hi Andyh,

I think I have a set of these kicking around in storage - I'm visiting there this weekend, and will take a look for you. Picked up a big job lot about ten years ago, and I can't remember exactly what I have...!

MY83 99GL
MY89 900i S
MY96 9000 Aero
MY02 93 2.2 TiD x2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:40 pm 
Active user

Thanks Doive, let me know what you find!
I get the impression that finding the rims might be easier than finding the tyres!
Andy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:00 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 95, 99, 900, 9000, 93, Sonett
You're not wrong! :shock: :shock: :shock:

http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/19 ... n-trx.html

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/rshop/Summer-t ... d/Michelin

I had a BMW 525e about ten years back fitted with the metric TRX bottletops, a single tyre even then was coming in at £192. Managed to find a garage clearing stock, and nabbed a pair for £120. Not a bad tyre, the car felt beautifully balanced on them, more so than the BBS cross spokes that followed.

MY83 99GL
MY89 900i S
MY96 9000 Aero
MY02 93 2.2 TiD x2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:14 am 
Arkwright.

Car Model: 99GL, 9-5 DE & Fiat 500
I have a full set of TRX centre caps that I was given, they are of no use to me.

Happy to pass them on for the cost of postage or you can collect for free.

Self righteousness is for the narrow-minded.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:12 pm 
Active user

Thanks Espin - i'll send you a PM!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:48 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: Saabs
There was someone on the Saab Owners Club GB Facebook page giving away a set of TRX wheels about three weeks ago.

Not sure if they went.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:06 pm 
Active user

Thanks for the alert Redders. I've just joined this group and checked the message. It was a few weeks ago now, and the owner was suggesting that they would probably be in a skip if not collected by now. I've sent a message and will see what happens!
Andy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:09 pm 
Put a SOC in it!

Car Model: One or two...
They were chuffin good tyres back in the day, but pricey even in 1980...however IIRC the orignal size for the C900 was 180/65/390, not 190, and the 190s were more widely used on Mercs, BMs, etc, but the bigger diameter meant they rubbed like hell on the rear arches under compression. You can fix that by reducing the travel, we used to strap a wooden block onto the back axle with cable ties, on tope of the flat pads where the bump stops touch it. Was particularly good when towing as even the 180/65s could touch, as the axle moves sideways under compression (the usual "feature", due to the panhard rod).

96V4s...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:35 am 
UKS Addict

How old are these "NEW" tyres?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:54 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 9-5 Aero estate
New. They're being remanufactured. There are lots of classic tyres being remade these days.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:11 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

If you are offered any of these rims bear in mind that they were available in two versions:
Early for sleeve type wheel nuts and later for taper type wheel nuts.
I think the early one's had a centre cap that covered the wheel nuts and the later centre cap exposed the nuts.
There may be differences in the centreing boss to suit the hubs, not sure.

Seem to remember these wheels developed problems with leaks around the rims. Check carefully the bead area on the wheel. The tyres used to wear it away really badly.

Not sure about using the wider tyres on these rims. Feel that they are more sensitive to tyre size than conventional wheels.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:28 am 
Active user

Thanks for the replies. I managed to get a set of these for delivery cost only. Last week I sent them to be painted.

However, following Saab surfers comments I'm a bit worried as I am not sure about the bolt type. The wheels arrived with the full stainless hub cap (the earlier style I believe), but I need to use the exposed nut hubcaps which are correct period for my car (kindly donated by espin!).

Saab surfer are you absolutely sure that the alloy casting is different between the earlier and later types? I have never come across any information on this before, so I just assumed (probably wrongly!) all would be okay. If not I need to hot foot it over to the paint shop and ask them to pause work!

Could it be that the bolt style is different but the casting is the same??

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:37 am 
Active user

On my way into work this morning I called into the paint shop where I have taken the wheels, just to check this bolt issue out - I really don't want to have a a nicely painted set of rims which won't fit!!

Saab Surfer - you are absolutely correct! Thanks for pointing this out - it could have been a costly oversight on my part.

My wheels are part number 8936262 and have a (what i would call) a "shoulder" nut fitting. I think that this is the same type of flat fitting nut which is currently used on the inca rims on the car.

I found on the internet that there is another type of saab TRX rim with a part number of 8947442. This has the taper or conical nut fitting.

To be honest it would be nice if I could swap between the Incas and TRXs without needing a different set of wheel nuts. I guess the only things I need to check are that these wheels actually fit the hubs on the car and that the grey plastic exposed nut hubcaps fit over the shoulder wheel nuts. On this basis i'll be happy.

Thankfully the body shop had not touched the wheels, so i've put them back in the car and I think the only way to proceed is with a trial fitting of everything together. Much better I do this now than find out the painful way later!!

Thanks everyone!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:10 pm 
Put a SOC in it!

Car Model: One or two...
The wheels fit the hubs OK, they are all interchangeable - the only issue is going to be the nuts...and despite us having 5-dr C900 turbos back in the day with both types of TRX (a 79 in Acacia and an 82 H-engine non-APC in Slate) that was news to me, so thanks to Saab surfer for the enlightenment!

96V4s...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:34 pm 
Active user

Quickly checked this just now.

It seems that the shoulder wheel nuts do not fit through the plastic wheel caps at the shoulder part, but the cap still fits over the nuts okay from the front. This means that you have to take the caps off to withdraw the nuts, but I don't see that being a problem.

At the weekend i'll just trial fit the wheel properly, and make sure that the caps fit the hub boss okay - but looking at it I think we will be okay.

If all is good i'll take them back to be painted!!

Cheers, Andy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:46 pm 

Car Model: viggen 900t delta alfa austin7
hello andyh got a set of trx wheels, no centre caps & also a set of ronal gb alloys but they come with a 81/82 Y 5 door 900 turbo. Its in solid shape but needs full restoration, too good to scrap been in storage for 20 + years. Decent velour blue interior.