UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:42 pm

All times are UTC





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Wheel arch rust
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:57 pm
Posts: 7
Car Model: 9-3
Morning, and Happy New Year to all.
I've just bought an 08 9-3 diesel auto. It has a couple of slight bubbles on the rear arches. Nearly all I looked at had these (Scotland !!). Is this common with all Saabs?? I plan to rub down and paint. Also to remove arch liner and treat the inside edge with something. Kurust, Stonechip, Waxoil...I don't know yet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wheel arch rust
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:18 pm 
Offline
Saab Nut
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:15 pm
Posts: 1949
Location: South West Scotland
Car Model: 9-3 1.8t
Are we talking the lip of the wheel arch or the panel?
The lip would be understandable as it gets grit galore chucked at it, the higher up the panel less so.

When doing the work, its usually most ideal to take a panel off (not that easy to be honest), but should be possible while still on.

The liners are one solid piece that tucks into the lip of the wheel arches so you will want to get in the back of there with a jet and really clean it down.
To get the liners out its 8mm bolts (that can seize or spin off) and 10mm plastic nuts that do the same to the mountings if you try yanking (they arnt intended to be structural).

As to paints and chemicals, KRUST, Stone Chip definitely as it stays pliable, and paint.
Absolutely no point using waxoil in the arches as, like I said, they are almost entirely protected by the plastic.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wheel arch rust
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:57 pm
Posts: 7
Car Model: 9-3
disgruntled_knome wrote:
Are we talking the lip of the wheel arch or the panel?
The lip would be understandable as it gets grit galore chucked at it, the higher up the panel less so.

When doing the work, its usually most ideal to take a panel off (not that easy to be honest), but should be possible while still on.

The liners are one solid piece that tucks into the lip of the wheel arches so you will want to get in the back of there with a jet and really clean it down.
To get the liners out its 8mm bolts (that can seize or spin off) and 10mm plastic nuts that do the same to the mountings if you try yanking (they arnt intended to be structural).

As to paints and chemicals, KRUST, Stone Chip definitely as it stays pliable, and paint.
Absolutely no point using waxoil in the arches as, like I said, they are almost entirely protected by the plastic.

Thanks for reply. They are mostly on the lip with a couple on the edge of the panel. Was going to do it myself, but booking it in to a body shop tomorrow hopefully.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wheel arch rust
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:01 pm 
Offline
Saab Nut
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:15 pm
Posts: 1949
Location: South West Scotland
Car Model: 9-3 1.8t
Meego wrote:
Thanks for reply. They are mostly on the lip with a couple on the edge of the panel. Was going to do it myself, but booking it in to a body shop tomorrow hopefully.


Make sure they get behind the lip done, a lot of places are lazy only doing cosmetic (front of shop) work where you can see.
Known a few people get stung like this.

Not much in the way of issue with the saab's that i've seen, though with other cars its seldom the front (painted) side that rots through, but rather from the back.
Usually because protection doesnt extend that far.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wheel arch rust
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:54 am 
Offline
Active user
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:47 pm
Posts: 82
Car Model: 9-3 Aero TTiD convertible auto
I too have some spots of rust on the inner lip of my rear arches appearing. Mine's also a 2008.

My plan is (once the weather is better) to remove the arch liners, rub them down, treat with K-rust then repaint them. Hopefully I won't need to paint the outer surfaces so will get away with doing the work myself.

If not then it won't be a mega expensive job for a body shop to tackle.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wheel arch rust
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:53 pm 
Offline
Full Pressure Turbo

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:00 pm
Posts: 760
Car Model: 9-3ss aero
Rubbing rust down and re-painting is almost always a temporary repair.
For a easily replaceable panel I would source a rust free wing if you plan on keeping the car and are bothered about the rust.
Next best thing is to remove the wing and clean the rust up with a wire wheel on a drill or sand blast the corroded area and make sure all pits are 100% clean before priming with a primer with anti corrosion property's.

I have been a painter for 15 years and have repaired many rusty arches on my own cars and it's came back almost every time eventually.
One time it didn't come back I spent ages with a wire wheel and the arch had no pits right through the panel so no risk of the corrosion coming from the back of the panel.

Sorry if I sound the barer of bad news but if a jobs worth doing it's worth doing right imo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wheel arch rust
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:57 pm
Posts: 7
Car Model: 9-3
twostroker wrote:
Rubbing rust down and re-painting is almost always a temporary repair.
For a easily replaceable panel I would source a rust free wing if you plan on keeping the car and are bothered about the rust.
Next best thing is to remove the wing and clean the rust up with a wire wheel on a drill or sand blast the corroded area and make sure all pits are 100% clean before priming with a primer with anti corrosion property's.

I have been a painter for 15 years and have repaired many rusty arches on my own cars and it's came back almost every time eventually.
One time it didn't come back I spent ages with a wire wheel and the arch had no pits right through the panel so no risk of the corrosion coming from the back of the panel.

Sorry if I sound the barer of bad news but if a jobs worth doing it's worth doing right imo

No worries mate and thanks for posting. I own a 28yr old Land Rover so am very familiar with rust. :( I have decided to do the preparatory work myself and remove as much of the tin worm as possible, then get someone to paint it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wheel arch rust
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:10 am 
Offline
UKS Addict

Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:31 am
Posts: 2169
Location: Chatham, Kent.
Car Model: 9-5 Aero 2002
twostroker wrote:

For a easily replaceable panel I would source a rust free wing if you plan on keeping the car and are bothered about the rust.


Correct me if i'm in the wrong here fella, but, I would not consider a rear quarter panel on a 9-3 "an easily replaceable panel" unlike say, a bolt on front wing.

_________________
2002 9-5 Aero Saloon Manual. Noobtune Stage III
2000 9-5 Aero Estate Auto. Maptun Stage I (Broken)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wheel arch rust
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:24 pm 
Offline
Full Pressure Turbo

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:00 pm
Posts: 760
Car Model: 9-3ss aero
phil_saab wrote:
twostroker wrote:

For a easily replaceable panel I would source a rust free wing if you plan on keeping the car and are bothered about the rust.


Correct me if i'm in the wrong here fella, but, I would not consider a rear quarter panel on a 9-3 "an easily replaceable panel" unlike say, a bolt on front wing.


Sorry I missed read the op, your right a front wing is easily swapped where as a 1/4 is a far bigger job


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

follow UKSaabs on Twitter



UKSaabs silhouette logo images by Mark Green www.greenphotos.com
"subsilver2" slightly bodged by UKSaabs for our own use.

:: Disclaimer ::
Comments posted here are the views of their individual authors and are not necessarily shared by the owners of this Web site.
Authors assume all responsibility for comments posted here.

UKSaabs The biggest and best privately owned UK based independent Saab forum for all SAAB enthusiasts.
Whilst we encourage our users to support our advertisers the site wishes to remain independent and therefore does not endorse any particular advertiser(s)
UKSaabs is not affiliated with Saab Cars UK or Saab Automobile AB