UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:50 pm 
UKS Addict

Location: Hipperholme...it's in the Doomsday Book, but more importantly its in YORKSHIRE!!!
Car Model: SAAB 9-3 Convertible
LMAO...:oops: you never know some people do love their cars ;)
If you check out Karls thread about cleaning the gubbings out of Donnas hood, it was far worse than yours...
He'd tried all the methods Id suggested and still had residue left (her hood is blue which looks worse than the black in my opinion) showing its ugly head. Karl got an upholstery cleaner in an Hey Presto clean roof ready for Fabsil. :)
Nice work an sixteen quid is a bargain...We have one of the big Vax ones and I can promise you they don't clean alloys the way they advertise they do lol
Kent

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:24 am 
Active user

Car Model: 9-3 1.8T Bio Anniv Convert 07
Gentle word of warning for idiots like me :wall: . I washed the green mildew off the roof using sterilising solution and a soft brush (see page 3 of this thread) and then washed in baby bath and all came up beautifully, I then re-proofed the hood and then rinsed it off. Washed the rest of the car and shammied it dry (but not the roof).
I obviously did not rinse it off enough as when I washed the complete car the week after (baby bath for roof and car wash for the car), the line of water that drips down the side of car (just in front of the rear wheels) left a residue of proofing on the car, that does not wash off.
My wife suggested a kitchen scourer! :shock:
I used some good old T-Cut and it came straight off.
So make sure you rinse off the proofing well, and do not let the drip on the rear quarter from the roof sit and dry.
Best of luck all.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:30 pm 
UKS Addict

Location: Hipperholme...it's in the Doomsday Book, but more importantly its in YORKSHIRE!!!
Ahhhh, may be a problem there...
I never wash my roof unless Im proofing it. Lint roller (actually a paint roller with Sellotape attached to it sticky side out) a brush (only ever used on the roof) and a vacuum cleaner are all Id maintain it with...soda water to get rid of bird poo obviously ;)
The product (I trust you used Fabsil?) rolls off the hood with rain when its first protected if you're as generous with the stuff as I am :shock: but I 425 the car daily so its never a problem on my car...I trust your wife apologised for the scourer comment, once she'd picked herself up off the floor ;) just kidding...I was toy fighting with Debi several years ago (5'-5" and less than 115lbs and I was a fit 6'-1" 210lbs...wish I weighed that now lol) she got behind me and put me into a choke hold, we're both pretty stubborn so the upshot was...I passed out!!! Mental note don't take on someone that is well versed in Brazilian Ju-Jitsu SIZE DOES NOT MATTER against that poo LMAO
Kent
edit for profanities... ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:41 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 93 SS Aero
what an excellent thread you know what i will be doing when the dry weather comes back.....

03 95 Vector sport
05 93ss aero
87 C900 16v

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:30 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 2004 93ss vert
the guy who used the steamer i have one of them using the small nosel did not mark the roof or fade it i was going to use steamer and cloth
steve

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:58 pm 
UKS Addict

You might want to check Karls thread on how he cleaned Donna's hood Steve, its an interesting read for guys that have seriously ingrained grime and mould on their hoods
Kent

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:21 am 
Active user

Car Model: 9-3 1.8T Bio Anniv Convert 07
Kent61 wrote:
she got behind me and put me into a choke hold, we're both pretty stubborn so the upshot was...I passed out!!!

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:44 am 
UKS Addict

Yeah, its not that funny when everything is going grey ;)
Good thing is I didn't tap...bad thing is - I wasn't able to, funny how you loose control of your limbs when you're unconscious :shock: :oops:
Kent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:49 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-3 Aero 2.8T
Really useful thread, folks - and quality journalism, too...

Sunday, as I gave the fabric hood a damp sponge-over, there was no water-beading - and tiny traces of algae in the lining just above the side-windows.

Thanks to your info, a Renovo Fabric Cleaner (500ml) and a Proofer (1ltr) are en route from that online shop that sounds like a South American river...

Here's hoping for a dry weekend.

Happy and safe motoring.

S.C.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:56 pm 
UKS Addict

...and you'd have saved a small fortune buying the better quality Fabsil proofer and Johnsons baby bath cleaner :roll:
Kent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:51 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

Kent61 wrote:
...and you'd have saved a small fortune buying the better quality Fabsil proofer and Johnsons baby bath cleaner :roll:
Kent

It was a close-call between the Fabsil and the Renovo. It was other comments, about silicone-based drips down bodywork, that swayed me away from the Fabsil for my first cleaning/proofing attempt.

I will report back with results, later in the month.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:15 pm 
UKS Addict

And as I said about those drips, they never bother me as I keep the car clean all the time ;)
Rennovo will never give the beading qualities Fabsil does and Fabsil will never give the colour pigment that Rennovo does. Rennovo is an excellent product if you have water damage or fading...and don't mind your hood feeling like a Van Gogh :shock: all have their merits you just need to work out which one works best for you...obviously Im in the tight, penny pinching Yorkshiremans court ;)
And with results like this who'd blame me
Kent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:31 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Kent61 wrote:
...and don't mind your hood feeling like a Van Gogh

Hmmm - and which bit of Van Gogh would I be feeling.... f'nar.

Impressive 'proofing on that photo, Kent - I've seen Chris Bonington's Himalayan tents with less beading than that.

Yes, weather permitting, the Renovo shampoo and 'proof will go on this weekend. Colour hasn't faded but a couple of patches which I hope to eradicate from some TLC.

S.C.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:19 pm 
UKS Addict

There's no better product if you need to colour your hood (Rennovo) and no better for proofing them (Fabsil)
Weather up here is set to ssip it down all weekend :(
I've got golf comps on both both days so I hope its better where you are, or, that you have a garage to work in?
Good luck, Im sure it'll look great...Pete's did :D
Kent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:55 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Kent - I hope you got more hours' golf than I got hours' cleaning...

I Renovo-shampooed the hood but, by the time it had dried ready for the first coat of Renovo 'proofing, the heavens opened for a few hours. No chance of that drying out today.

Oh well, there's always next weekend...

S.C.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:25 pm 
UKS Addict

Got away with TWO rain free days...bit lucky really. Dodged the bullet in Lancashure (can't say it...red rose county -spit ;)) it was checking down when I got home. Then today was glorious :) only had two shanks all weekend and one of those was under some bushes with a branch up my nose so Im not too displeased with the weekend at all weekend:D
Shame about the weather for you but the rain will have rinsed the suds out of the fabric...amazing how much there is isn't it?
A nice brush and vac next dry forecast and then you can get your proofer on :)
Good luck
Kent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:29 pm 

Car Model: Saab 9-3 Convertible
Had a problem with a leaking roof, the dealer that sold the car to me tried to clean with a pressure washer! not a good move....
Got a very good price based on buying with a leaking roof and after some cleaning and trying Auto Glym Cabriolet roof reproofer I was able to reduce the amount of water soaking in, to finally seal the roof and stop the leaks I used Fabsil.

So I would now always recommend Fabsil to seal any Fabric roof. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:15 am 
UKS Addict

Cheap and does EXACTLY what it says on the tin eh Chris? :)
Best proofer on the market in my experience with Renovo being the best colour restorer ...
Kent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:42 am 
UKS Addict

Fabsil back at £23.50 for 5ltr delivered HERE :D :D :D
Time to stock up...
Kent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:03 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9-3 2.3 Turbo SE vert
just to ask a question, on my vert, there is traces of green algae in the beaded edge above the side windows

will the Johnsons baby bath (blue bottle) remove that, or does it need to be the Milton?

if it has to be the Milton, does it have to be the tablets, or can you use the fluid?

someone did ask that question earlier in the thread, but, i didn't see an answer to it

MY03 9-3 Vert (The Dog)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next