UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 526 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:50 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: Saabs
Toe wrote:
Turning into a interesting if wandering thread lol.... Been reading the mag again and it's all through it, one example with the 4 "shoot out" (Viva, Anglia etc) there seems to be 2 shadows in one pic, moon landings anyone?! Seriously though think where it goes over the line when you get reflection of the flash, urgh, but personal taste of course.
The 9-5 further up isn't too bad but we're being picky, it's the car which is the star (and you of course) and to get in a national mag with this type of feature is pretty special

Thanks Toe, yes it is very special to get into Practical Classic's, this is the first readers restoration feature AFAIK in PC to feature a Saab, let alone the first C900 to have a restoration feature in any national mainstream magazine.

It's great for all of us Saab people and our cars, especially C900's to have this feature in the biggest selling classic car mag in the UK. It is a great piece of publicity that can only increase awareness and subsequently the value of the C900 as a classic car.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:05 pm 
UKS Addict

On the subject of the professional pictures, there were 270 pictures that I have all of which are very good IMO but theres little point posting anymore if they are going to be criticised. I don't really want to turn this into a photography thread thats about picking holes in the professional pictures :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:05 pm 
Active user

Wow, Had the pleasure of seeing this car in the flesh today at the NEC Classic Car Show.

Its a stunning car and a credit to you.

Dave (the bloke with Astra Dan)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:25 pm 
Carpin' On

Car Model: SAAB 900S/SCIROCCO GT
Redders wrote:
On the subject of the professional pictures, there were 270 pictures that I have all of which are very good IMO but theres little point posting anymore if they are going to be criticised. I don't really want to turn this into a photography thread thats about picking holes in the professional pictures :wink:

Can't pick holes in yours so may aswell pick holes in the pros. lol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:47 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: Saab 900s lpt
Seen this today at the nec... Prob the best example of a 900 I've ever seen.. Great commitment and effort in producing this reddersss.. Nice to meet you aswell mate.. Joe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:02 am 
UKS Addict

Rob Beard wrote:
Redders wrote:

Can't pick holes in yours so may aswell pick holes in the pros. lol

I just point and click Rob, just lucky with the subject matter :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:04 am 
UKS Addict

joe c900 wrote:
Seen this today at the nec... Prob the best example of a 900 I've ever seen.. Great commitment and effort in producing this reddersss.. Nice to meet you aswell mate.. Joe

Thanks Joe, it was really nice to meet you too mate 8)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:15 pm 
UKS Addict

GTE 16v wrote:
Wow, Had the pleasure of seeing this car in the flesh today at the NEC Classic Car Show.

Its a stunning car and a credit to you.

Dave (the bloke with Astra Dan)

Thank you Dave, good to meet you too fella :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:27 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-3 TTid 2009
Hi Chris,i have spent the past two nights reading all of this post and i was lost and delighted reading all about and seeing all about
this momentous journey you have taken us on.from the first page to the last page you have given an absolute reference point to
any one who requires to know how to carry out a master class restoration.your dedication,enthusiasm,attention to detail,skill,and
sheer hard work is an inspiration. i applaud your commitment to this absolutely rewarding project including all the photographic
detail you have given us and for sure any trophy's,awards, and magazine shoots regarding your car are completely justified.
Congratulations to you Chris and thank you for giving us the chance to be a part of this amazing restoration.

Bob

p.s Belated congratulations also regarding your new baby daughter.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:59 pm 
UKS Addict

bobdavioce wrote:
Hi Chris,i have spent the past two nights reading all of this post and i was lost and delighted reading all about and seeing all about
this momentous journey you have taken us on.from the first page to the last page you have given an absolute reference point to
any one who requires to know how to carry out a master class restoration.your dedication,enthusiasm,attention to detail,skill,and
sheer hard work is an inspiration. i applaud your commitment to this absolutely rewarding project including all the photographic
detail you have given us and for sure any trophy's,awards, and magazine shoots regarding your car are completely justified.
Congratulations to you Chris and thank you for giving us the chance to be a part of this amazing restoration.

Bob

p.s Belated congratulations also regarding your new baby daughter.

:oops: Wow thank you Bob for your very kind words.

The restoration thread really helped me keep on track with the project. All of the kind words, technical advice and the banter all contributed to the outcome of the car. It's been an absolutely amazing journey and I could never have imagined in my wildest dreams quite how well it could have turned out from both the point of the car and the friendships that I have made in the Saab community both online and in the real world :lol:

Thanks again :D

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:20 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-3 TTid 2009
My pleasure Chris and thank you.

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:37 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: Astra SRi 200+, GTE 16V
A pleasure to meet you at the NEC on Saturday. Luckily we were short on time as I'd have bent your ear for hours!
Your car is stunning and really makes me want to get mine to a similar standard. Trouble is not being able to drive it for a couple of years :(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:36 am 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 1989 Saab 900 T16 (Black)
Adding to the growing list......
It was a pleasure to see your car 'in the flesh' redders , and great to meet such a nice chap. Another face to a UKS username. Can't wait to see those pictures....

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:03 pm 
UKS Addict

Astra Dan and Elsaabo, great talking to you guys too. It's always great to meet other UKSaabers in real life :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:11 pm 
UKS Addict

So then that’s 2013 done, time to lay the car up after a busy year.

Much has happened in 2013, the show season kicked off way back in April with the Bristol Classic Car Show. I was fortunate to be invited by GWS to show my 91 C900 convertible on their stand which featured a timeline of Saabs consisting of 9 cars. The stand created a buzz, GWS won awards and the stand also featured in Classic Car Weekly. Whilst at the show I received a phone call from Practical Classics asking if I would be interested in a feature on the T16S in the magazine, what a result, I couldn’t believe it. Phone calls were exchanged and a photo shoot was planned for later in the year. On a slightly less positive note I decided to part with the convertible, but to my relief it was bought by an enthusiast from Sweden who now lavishes the car the attention that it rightly deserves.

May, Swedish day another great event catching up with mates old and new. To my relief the car did not bring any silverware home this year :oops: but it did make it home under its own steam, so that was improvement on last year :lol:

June, Practical Classics came and did the photo shoot for the magazine feature and was a great experience, magazine to follow later in the year.

June still, Back in 2012 Alex Rankin (SOC 900 Registrar) and myself decided to organise a road rally/tour of South Wales and Wye Valley. We put the idea to the SOC, it was well received and suggested that it should become part of the 50th Anniversary events/rally’s that were taking place around the UK. We were especially privileged to have Erik Carlsson as a guest of honour. We had a great weekend with wonderful weather and great company. Erik was as charismatic as ever and it was amazing to spend so much time with him. It was great to show him all around the T16S which he commented was ‘as good as new’

August, The Saab International Meeting of Clubs. Being the first international event I’ve attended I didn’t know what to expect. It was a brilliant weekend from start to finish. The UKSaab’s gang were a great laugh and we had an absolute blast. There were many highlights that weekend, one of the best being sat at ‘the top table’ with the guests of honour Erik Carlsson and Peter Backstrom (Saab Museum Manager) for dinner on the Friday night, unbelievable :shock: . The T16S also featured in the ‘Notable 50’ line up at which Peter gave a presentation of the cars including interviewing me and announced it was one of his favourite cars there, I was really chuffed 8)

September, As South Wales didn’t have a local SOC group, it was suggested that I re-establish a local Saab Community. Rather than start completely from scratch ‘Dragon Saab’ the lapsed local SOC group was reformed. Although its still only early days the group is doing well and lots of new friendships have been formed, onwards and upwards, we are looking forward to the group growing in the future. A website will be on the way to keep everyone up to date on our activities and events. Events/Meets will also be put up on the meetings area on UKS

October, Practical Classics hits the shelves of every good newsagents with the 6 page full feature on my car, read back a couple of posts.

November, The National Classic Motorshow. Back in September Ellie Wilson of the SOC attended the launch of our local group. As it was the launch I used the T16S for the meet instead of the 9-3. Ellie contacted me a week later and asked if I would take it to the NEC and display it on the SOC Stand. It didn’t take me long at all to say yes and leave was booked from work.

Well what an amazing event the NEC show is, we arrived on Thursday for set up and spent four days at the show. It was hard work and exhausting especially if you don’t follow the rota system and just stay with the cars and the stand the whole time talking to the public, which is what I did!!! The stand was very, very busy and everyone worked so hard to try and give enough time to everyone who wanted to talk about Saab or the cars on display. Having been going to the show on and off for the last 20 years nothing could have prepared me for what’s actually like being on the stand for all that time. The NEC security staff estimated that 55,000 were attending the event over the three days and all of these would have gone past/through the Saab stand at some stage, a staggering amount of people. However it was an absolutely amazing experience, the cars and Saab had a massive amount of interest and we were all rushed off our feet. Loads of UKSaabers came and said hello and as always it was great to put faces to names.

So I know this post doesn’t just talk about the T16S but I think that’s all very relevant that had I not decided to restore this car rather publicly and have spent the last three years blasting all over the country in it probably none of the above would have happened.

What an amazing year 2013 has been…. :park:

Some pictures from the NEC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:33 pm 
Arkwright.

Car Model: 99GL, 9-5 DE & Fiat 500
It has certainly been a year to remember for you Chris :D

I bet your pleased you decided not to let the car go :D

You would have regretted it :wink:

Self righteousness is for the narrow-minded.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:04 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 99 GL Turbo
Hey up Chris, sounds like you had a brill time at the nec, it is an amazing show, there is almost too much to see.

As you know i didn't make it, however you took some really good pics and the 900 looked at home. It certainly rounded off a fantastic year for you, it will take some beating.

All being well mate we will catch up next year at a show or two! :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:47 pm 
UKS Addict

Espin99 wrote:
It has certainly been a year to remember for you Chris :D

I bet your pleased you decided not to let the car go :D

You would have regretted it :wink:

Fate is definitely involved Mal.

2013 was a strange year, massive ups and equal downs, overall it's been special :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:58 pm 
UKS Addict

darryl -m wrote:
Hey up Chris, sounds like you had a brill time at the nec, it is an amazing show, there is almost too much to see.

As you know i didn't make it, however you took some really good pics and the 900 looked at home. It certainly rounded off a fantastic year for you, it will take some beating.

All being well mate we will catch up next year at a show or two! :)

Hey Darryl

It was amazing, I've been going to the show for many years and always deemed this as the biggest event in the UK, a showcase for all of the car clubs.

The interest in Saab was at fever pitch and I was really proud not only to show the the 900 but to represent the Saab Community :D

Personally 2013 will take some beating but seeing as 2014 events are already in the planning we definitely have something to look forward too :wink:

Look forward to seeing you and Janine and the 99 GLT in 2014

Cheers mate

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:20 pm 
Arkwright.

Car Model: 99GL, 9-5 DE & Fiat 500
In the running for PC Restorer of the year as well Chris :D

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=129731&start=20#p1238185

That would really top your year off :D

Get your votes in chaps :wink:

Self righteousness is for the narrow-minded.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 526 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next